Friday, January 31, 2014

Week #6 Leading at the Edge Ch9

This chapter's lesson is
Be willing to take the Big Risk.

In this chapter the author talks about risk taking.
At last, the author mentions that "leaders at The Edge need to be comfortable with the discomfort of risk."
I firstly thought that every time when I began to be in new environment, such as new school, new club, or new place, I always am uncomfortable. I assume everyone feels same way. However, looking back my life, I have tried to jump into new world. Moving to abroad is one of the examples. When I was in 2nd year of high school, my father told my family that we were going to move to NY. Even though, I really wanted to move away from the high school then, I became worried about my life at new place after deciding to go with my family. Since I started to think about my future seriously (entrance exam for university), it was big risk for me to quit the high school and even go abroad! However, I could not think living apart from my family, I went there with them and started new life there.
Life in the U.S was not that easy thing. I struggled with my English and relationship with the others. Because I wanted to improve my English, I did not want to be with Japaneses friends. Nevertheless, it was hard for me to get into American students there whose relationship was made from elementary school. As second year started, I decided to join girl's swim team. For me it was big decision, because I am not that good swimmer as teammates, who was in tea ceremony club at high school in Japan. Moreover in winter term, I joined track and field team. (I do like running, but I am not that fast runner) Only reason for such was making friends and improving my English through experiencing club activities in different country. Even though my record was not that good (comparing with others), I was and still am satisfied with what I have done. I could grow not only physically but also mentally.

There were many times I had to think about risk especially in the U.S. While I always worried about what if I could not accomplish it, I tried to be positive about risk and thought it as a chance.


This video is truly motivational. Please check it out :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Ayaka! Thank you for your great story. taking risk and courage to get into foreign group can not be a easy thing. Going outside(Japan), for most of people already deserved as challenging and risk taking, though you didn't stop there and moving forward to get more challenging and different thing. It seems I have lot to learn from your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ayaka,

    Thanks for these three fine posts. I really like the way you are responding so well with the text, applying it to your own life, and finding such great materials to share. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete